Are you giving enough reasons to your subscribers to engage and respond to your email marketing messages? The more personalized your emails appear to be to your targeted audience, the higher the click-through rates and conversion rates your email marketing campaign will achieve. Recent statistics on personalized email conversations will explain the success rates of personalized email messages over blast and batch email campaigns –
- According to Campaign Monitor, emails featuring personalized subject lines draw 26% more opens.
- Marketers who create more personalized conversations after segmenting their targeted audiences have witnessed a whopping 760% revenue growth, according to Campaign Monitor.
- According to DemandGen, 53% of email marketers claimed that personalized email conversations have resulted in significant growth in revenue generation.
- Experian has revealed that 50% more companies are planning to increase engagement of their email marketing using by focusing on email personalization.
- eConsultancy has concluded that 74% of marketers say targeted personalization increases customer engagement.
That’s why most marketers are beginning to use engagement driven email marketing platforms rather than traditional email delivery systems. Around 95% businesses started using marketing automation platforms to tap the potential of personalized email marketing communications, according to a survey by Regalix. VentureBeat has also shown that 56 percent of marketers are using email service providers, while 75 percent of companies are likely to migrate to marketing automation platform. While batch-and-blast email campaigns fail to build relations and engagement with customers, email marketing automation gives marketers the opportunity to optimize the email messages to subscribers’ responses to previous communications, personalizing conversation and engaging subscribers at each stage of buying cycle.
How does engaging email conversation work?
In short, email messages should be designed in ways that those create opportunities for subscribers to respond. Here are two ways to start email conversation:
Monitor and message –
The first stage is to listen to your prospects and buyers to know how they browse across various digital channels and optimize your email marketing conversation. Marketing automation offers behavioral filters tools to initiate conversation based on contacts’ unique behaviors and activities. Later, you need to monitor recipients’ responses on your conversation and how your conversation falls into unique tracks of behavior as you continue the campaign. For example, when they buy any small product from the store, you need to trigger an email message based on their behavior or actions taken (or not taken) when purchase made. If you send them your regular blast and batch email campaign instead of such personalized message, you will lose potential of further transactions from the buyer.
Send messages that flow one to the next
The idea behind this method is that email marketing conversations must consistently evolve based on the target audience’s behaviors and responses. The conversations must be planned in ways that follow the pattern of storytelling with each subsequent message flowing conversationally from the previous one, toward building and improving good customer relationship. If you are just starting and looking for ideas to begin threads of email marketing conversations with your prospects and customers, the following hints and cues will give you the idea.
- Welcome aboard and check out what’s in store for you!
- Would you mind playing this super cool video?
- You are special to us and so we have made our offer special for you!
- Sharing is still caring and fun too! Click to spread some love today!
- We noticed some buyers share similar tastes with you – mind what they were checking out?
- We brought the first digital print of our new book for you – you don’t wanna miss it.
- One of our very special customers made entry in this world – Guess who? Surprise, it’s you!
- So, you’ve finally tamed what’s been confusing you? Get ready to buy and grab before it’s gone!
- Good things only come to those who wait and to you – grab some more great content now!
- You don’t want to give it a miss! Click here to join this event and thank us later.
- The fun has just begun! And here are some more fun and fascinating facts about our products you might have overlooked!
- Your opinion matters, seriously! Take this survey and tell us what you think.
- We noticed you have been browsing yet skipping this ‘X’ product – so, we made it purchase worthy with 20% discount.
Aren’t these cool email conversations making you think that you can get a whole lot closer to your prospects and buyers than those plain-Jane email marketing campaigns? Here are 6 tips on how to create engaging email marketing conversations.
1. First of all, add fresh content
One of the best solutions is to create relevant content, automate and schedule the content one after another to deepen the engagement with your subscribers. Marketo will enable users to simply drag and drop the right content where they want to place it in the threads of conversations. That’s all, then the marketing automation platform will automatically send and feed your recipients with the right message at the right time. That way, your subscribers, prospects and buyers will gain access to the trendiest and most relevant information.
2. Schedule content to take control
Marketo will allow you control the scheduled content by letting you to activate and deactivate when required. Going forward, you don’t need to remember to activate any content when the time comes or even stop the content from delivery when the trend is gone or if it no longer interests subscribers. Also, it will also help you avoid errors that take place when done manually. With a more automated platform that supports automatic activation and deactivation of content times and dates, the system will take care of the timely delivery of relevant content to the right people.
3. Control frequency of email delivery
Too many emails too frequently can mar the effectiveness of the email campaign, making your potential subscribers to hit the ‘unsubscribe’ in no time. That’s why we recommend that you use the platform that brings you complete control over the number of emails you want to send to each of your subscribers based on their interests and interactions with your mail. Set limits and schedules, and monitor how your subscribers are responding or taking actions to your email conversations.
4. Make changes whenever possible
Monotony will kill the mood of your subscribers – that’s why it’s important to improvise and send the unique offers and content that they subscribe to. The best way to figure out what your subscribers want is to monitor their pattern of consuming content and which offers they have used before, so that you’re not sending the same content or offers to the same subscribers again. If your subscribers have already downloaded an ebook from the website, then it is a wrong email marketing strategy to send them the link to the same e-book through email. They will lose interest in your communications instantly. The platform will spot that those recipients should not receive an email with that e-book and will replace with other relevant content or e-book for them.
5. What to do if you have no fresh content to share
When there is no alert system letting you know when customers have reached the end of the steam of conversations and content, repetition or lack of content might lead many subscribers to unsubscribe or simply forget your communications. On the other hand, your email delivery system should be able to track if your subscribers have completed all the content in the stream and indicate you when you need to circulate fresh new content or change the course for subscribers.
6. Trace and get your subscribers engaged across multiple channels
Remember that your prospects and buyers are roaming across multiple channels in search of information, reviews, alternatives and interesting stories and updates. That why you need to use use systems that will enable you to listen to the buzz, how your customers respond and adapt your email conversations based on the behaviors, transactions, responses, search activities etc. Therefore, you can optimize your product, content or offer according to their mobile apps use, their Google search or their choice of online videos as well. You can also coordinate through mobile message marketing and direct mail marketing when email conversations don’t seem sufficient to engage with your targeted audience through other channels.
Do you find these tips and tricks of creating engagement driven email conversations useful? Share what more you want to know and your ideas below – we love to listen too.